Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Oh fellow blogging friends, how do I stalk thee?

If you blog at all, you'll see that I pretty much comment on just about every post you make. You might think I'm so in love with your blog that I must check it every 3 minutes. While I do love your blog, I'm not quite that obsessive.

Unless you've been living under an virtual internet rock for the past few years, you've probably heard of something called RSS feeds.

RSS feeds are a web feed format that are formatted in a very specific way. Most blogging websites provide RSS feeds for their users automatically. You probably see links for them all over the place on the internet. Finding these feeds has never been a problem, it's finding a useful tool to aggregate these posts that has been my problem. For many of my more tech-savvy friends, you'll laugh that it took me until 2008 to fully embrace RSS. Sorry!

Google Reader does a great job for me. If you use Firefox you can get a sweet little Google reader plug-in that displays the number of unread posts in the lower corner of your browser like this:


One click will get you a full displayed page of everything you haven't read.

If you want to be able to organize these a bit more, you can organize these feeds into folders and then have them displayed on custom Google page.


You can also set up RSS feeds to work on sites like Craigslist and ebay, so you can watch for things of interest, if that's your type of thing.

3 comments:

Chris said...

I tried greader for about a week. I went back to Feeddemon. So much better IMHO. You should check it out.

Jaime said...

perhaps you can explain this better to me in laments terms....

Anonymous said...

Matt, what I need from you (and most of my friends) is a "Comments" feed. I follow your posts, but I can't keep check back to see what people have said about your posts. Too much work. My site has a feed that will also provide comments, and at least for sites where my friends might be having a conversation, I like that. Any way you can activate that on Blogger for your site?

Also, I use GoogleReader, and I love it. Since I don't use the same computer all the time, it helps.